The overall policy objective is to establish an efficient and effective Micro, Small, and Medium-Sized Enterprise (MSME) sector that both serves the needs of the poorer members of society and serves the needs of national economic growth and development.
The Strategic Objectives of the Policy are:
- Easing of regulatory and legal environment to make it more business-friendly for all enterprises.
- Enhance access to finance for MSMEs through alternative finance including guarantees, seed and venture capital, insurance in addition to debt and equity lending.
- Develop a social safety net for the poorer segments of society (ultra-poor) to cover social protection, pensions, and health in MSMEs.
- Develop an understanding of the MSME market to provide information to develop new markets at home and overseas (exports and import substitution).
- Harmonise and make the taxation system consistent with the needs of MSMEs and Foreign Direct Investment.
- Develop a culture of entrepreneurship in The Gambia.
- Encourage the use of technology, in general, and in particular.
- Government to improve infrastructure to enhance the transport and marketing of all goods.
- Promote exports and competitiveness of MSME products.
- Encourage the creation of new MSME products and services by using appropriate technology.
- Encourage the construction of workplaces for the MSMEs that are rented at a reasonable cost.