To establish a tertiary and higher education system of reputable (world-class) institutions and centres of excellence that will produce well-educated and skilled citizens with the requisite competencies to lead fulfilled lives and compete nationally and globally.
Policy Objectives and Implementation Strategies
Access and Equity Objectives:
- I. To increase admissions in tertiary and higher education by 50% of 18-20year-olds by 2023.
- II. To establish and/or strengthen the equitable provision of technical and vocational education in the regions.
- III. To increase equitable access to affordable quality tertiary and higher education to the citizenry.
- IV. To promote equal opportunity and gender responsiveness in all tertiary and higher education programmes.
- V. To reduce gender disparities in enrolments in mathematics and other core sciences.
- VI. To increase access to tertiary and higher education and services for the physically challenged.
- VII. To provide the necessary regulatory framework including legislation that allows the full participation of the non-state actors in providing tertiary and higher education service delivery in order to address the skills gaps.
- VIII. To promote the use of open and distance learning and non-traditional modes of programme delivery in The Gambia. IX. To develop and implement a National Qualifications Framework for all the levels of tertiary and higher education, incorporating the existing Gambia Skills Qualifications Framework.
Quality and Relevance Objectives:
- I. To establish a national Accreditation and Quality Assurance Authority to assure the quality of all the tertiary and higher education institutions and programmes.
- II. To develop quality assurance standards and benchmarks for tertiary and higher education institutions in conformity with international standards.
- III. To develop and institutionalise internal quality assurance mechanisms, including a staff appraisal system within all the tertiary and higher education institutions.
- IV. To improve the physical facilities and conditions of service to foster a conducive teaching and learning environment.
- V. To develop and offer programmes in institutions that are relevant to the socio-economic needs of the country and the clientele.
- VI. To provide an environment in which all teaching and learning in public institutions is supported by ICT, where appropriate.
Research and Development Objectives:
- I. To support institutions to establish the prerequisite infrastructure and mobilise funding for research activities.
- II. To improve the volume and efficient appropriation of funds from government and other sources for tertiary and higher education research activities.
- III. To build partnerships, linkages and networks to help increase the volume and improve the quality and relevance of research undertaken in the tertiary and higher education sector.
- IV. To encourage institutional and individual capacity building to acquire a critical mass of researchers in the country.
- V. To encourage the application of research and development activities, including the incorporation of indigenous knowledge and to protect intellectual property rights as they relate to research and development.
- VI. To encourage NaRDIC to develop a national R&D Strategic Plan to guide the implementation of research activities and programmes.
Science, Technology and Innovation (STI) Objectives:
- I. To coordinate, integrate and harmonise STI national processes in the education sector and to monitor their successful implementation.
Sector Management Objectives:
- I. To provide relevant MoHERST support to all the regions.
- II. To establish structures and develop mechanisms that will enable the Minister and Permanent Secretary to carry out their leadership and policy functions.
- III. To recruit and deploy suitably qualified and skilled staff to enable the Ministry to deliver on its mandate and key functions.
- IV. To provide an effective and efficient regulatory mechanism for both public and private tertiary and higher education institutions in the country.
- V. To establish a centralised reporting and monitoring system within the Ministry for effective and efficient internal operations.
- VI. To conduct progress reviews in all public tertiary and higher education institutions.
- VII. To develop mechanisms for supervising, coordinating and monitoring all the public tertiary and higher education institutions within the country.
- VIII. To conduct annual sector reviews on all the activities in order to plan and encourage harmonisation and coordination within the sector.
- IX. To achieve the successful implementation of the integration of MDI, GC, GTTI and NARI into the UTG.
- X. To conduct periodic reviews of the tertiary and higher education curricula based on international standards in order to attract foreign students, and prepare students for global competitiveness.
Office of The President6 documents
Office of The Vice President2 documents
Ministry of Agriculture8 documents
Ministry of Basic and Secondary Education2 documents
Ministry of Defence2 documents
Ministry of Environment, Climate Change and Natural Resources4 documents
Ministry of Finance and Economic Affairs9 documents
Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation1 document
Ministry of Health16 documents
Ministry of Higher Education, Research, Science and Technology2 documents
Ministry of Information and Communications Infrastructure6 documents
Ministry of Interior3 documents
Ministry of Justice1 document
Ministry of Petroleum and Energy3 documents
Ministry of Trade Industry and Employment8 documents
Ministry of Transport Works and Infrastructure3 documents
Ministry of Tourism and Culture3 documents
Ministry of Women, Children and Social Welfare9 documents
Ministry of Youths and Sports2 documents
Ministry of Land and Regional Government1 document
Ministry of Fisheries and Water Resources3 documents