To establish a tertiary and higher education system of reputable (world-class) institutions and centres of excellence that will produce well-educated and skilled citizens with the requisite competencies to lead fulfilled lives and compete nationally and globally.
Policy Objectives and Implementation Strategies
Access and Equity Objectives:
- I. To increase admissions in tertiary and higher education by 50% of 18-20year-olds by 2023.
- II. To establish and/or strengthen the equitable provision of technical and vocational education in the regions.
- III. To increase equitable access to affordable quality tertiary and higher education to the citizenry.
- IV. To promote equal opportunity and gender responsiveness in all tertiary and higher education programmes.
- V. To reduce gender disparities in enrolments in mathematics and other core sciences.
- VI. To increase access to tertiary and higher education and services for the physically challenged.
- VII. To provide the necessary regulatory framework including legislation that allows the full participation of the non-state actors in providing tertiary and higher education service delivery in order to address the skills gaps.
- VIII. To promote the use of open and distance learning and non-traditional modes of programme delivery in The Gambia. IX. To develop and implement a National Qualifications Framework for all the levels of tertiary and higher education, incorporating the existing Gambia Skills Qualifications Framework.
Quality and Relevance Objectives:
- I. To establish a national Accreditation and Quality Assurance Authority to assure the quality of all the tertiary and higher education institutions and programmes.
- II. To develop quality assurance standards and benchmarks for tertiary and higher education institutions in conformity with international standards.
- III. To develop and institutionalise internal quality assurance mechanisms, including a staff appraisal system within all the tertiary and higher education institutions.
- IV. To improve the physical facilities and conditions of service to foster a conducive teaching and learning environment.
- V. To develop and offer programmes in institutions that are relevant to the socio-economic needs of the country and the clientele.
- VI. To provide an environment in which all teaching and learning in public institutions is supported by ICT, where appropriate.
Research and Development Objectives:
- I. To support institutions to establish the prerequisite infrastructure and mobilise funding for research activities.
- II. To improve the volume and efficient appropriation of funds from government and other sources for tertiary and higher education research activities.
- III. To build partnerships, linkages and networks to help increase the volume and improve the quality and relevance of research undertaken in the tertiary and higher education sector.
- IV. To encourage institutional and individual capacity building to acquire a critical mass of researchers in the country.
- V. To encourage the application of research and development activities, including the incorporation of indigenous knowledge and to protect intellectual property rights as they relate to research and development.
- VI. To encourage NaRDIC to develop a national R&D Strategic Plan to guide the implementation of research activities and programmes.
Science, Technology and Innovation (STI) Objectives:
- I. To coordinate, integrate and harmonise STI national processes in the education sector and to monitor their successful implementation.
Sector Management Objectives:
- I. To provide relevant MoHERST support to all the regions.
- II. To establish structures and develop mechanisms that will enable the Minister and Permanent Secretary to carry out their leadership and policy functions.
- III. To recruit and deploy suitably qualified and skilled staff to enable the Ministry to deliver on its mandate and key functions.
- IV. To provide an effective and efficient regulatory mechanism for both public and private tertiary and higher education institutions in the country.
- V. To establish a centralised reporting and monitoring system within the Ministry for effective and efficient internal operations.
- VI. To conduct progress reviews in all public tertiary and higher education institutions.
- VII. To develop mechanisms for supervising, coordinating and monitoring all the public tertiary and higher education institutions within the country.
- VIII. To conduct annual sector reviews on all the activities in order to plan and encourage harmonisation and coordination within the sector.
- IX. To achieve the successful implementation of the integration of MDI, GC, GTTI and NARI into the UTG.
- X. To conduct periodic reviews of the tertiary and higher education curricula based on international standards in order to attract foreign students, and prepare students for global competitiveness.