To contribute to the attainment of quality health services for the population of The Gambia through ensuring the continuous availability, accessibility and affordability of essential medicines of appropriate quality, safety and efficacy and by promoting their rational use.
The Specific Objectives of the Policy are:
- Ensure that essential medicines are made available to the population at affordable prices.
- Ensure that all medicines available in the country are safe, efficacious and of good quality.
- Promote rational use of medicines and provide objective information to health workers, patients and the general public.
- Ensure continuous education and professional training for pharmaceuticals and other relevant health workers for the effective implementation of the various components of the NMP.
- Institute a sustainable financing mechanism to ensure continuous availability of adequate quantities of the required essential medicines.
- Ensure adequate and updated legislation leading to effective regulation of pharmaceuticals.
- Promote the active participation of all stakeholders, especially the private sector, for the effective implementation of the policy
- Strengthen partnership at the national, regional and international levels in ensuring the full implementation of various components of the NMP through utilization of available resources, research, knowledge and expertise.