To decrease the burden of tuberculosis and HIV in The Gambia and more specific to reduce morbidity and mortality caused by TB and HIV.
The Specific Objectives of the Policy are:
- To strengthen the existing coordination and collaboration between tuberculosis and HIV/AIDS programs;
- To decrease the burden of tuberculosis in people living with HIV;
- To decrease the burden of HIV in tuberculosis patients;
- To build capacity of health care workers on TB/HIV. The activities planned under the policy are:
- Strengthen the Mechanisms for Collaboration:
- Organize regular national, regional and facility (care team) coordinating Committees meetings for TB/HIV activities; Conduct surveillance of HIV prevalence among tuberculosis patients; Conduct surveillance of TB prevalence among HIV patients; Carry out joint TB/HIV Planning; Conduct joint Monitoring & Evaluation; Conduct research
- Decrease the burden of tuberculosis in people living with HIV (“Three I’s”);
- Establish Intensified tuberculosis case finding (ICF); Ensure Isoniazid Preventive Therapy (IPT); Ensure tuberculosis Infection control in health care and congregate settings.
- Decrease the burden of HIV in tuberculosis patients
- Continue providing HIV counselling and testing; Strengthen HIV prevention activities; Scale up co-trimoxazole preventive therapy (CPT); Scale up antiretroviral therapy (ART).
- Build capacity of health care workers on TB/HIV.
- Train health care workers on TB and HIV; Train health care workers on infection control measures.