The Medicines Control Agency (MCA) was establish under the Medicines and Related Product Act, 2014 with the Mandate to regulate and control the manufacture, importation, exportation, distribution, use and advertisements of medicines and relates product with respect to ensuring their quality, safety, and efficacy in The Gambia.
- The law defines medicines to include a substance or mixture of substances prepared, sold or represented for use in the diagnosis, treatment, mitigation or prevention of diseases, disorder of abnormal physical state or the symptoms of it, in man or animal; restoring, correcting or modifying organic functions in man or animal; nutritional supplements, or herbal medicines
Key Strategies pursued under the plan include:
- Design strategies for achieving the vision, mission and objectives of the Agency.
- Provide a long-term perspective of what the Agency would look like in the future.
- Develop performance indicators for monitoring and evaluation.
- Develop an Operational Plan and budget as a basis to seek for both technical and financial assistance to facilitate the achievement of the set objectives.